The new registration platform and marketplace to promote television formats creatvplace.com will launch soon, and as an introductory offer, Safe Creative users who have registered TV formats and want to get them to the main television and production companies, can use the promoting services for free and without any commitment for the rest of this year.
Remember that in order to access to this promotion you need to have your TV Formats correctly registered in it’s category.
This is a recurrent question, nevertheless not frequent, but worth mentioning. Short answer is: No. A longer approach requests a bit more text:
1) As author of an original work you have all the rights upon that work whether you register it on official or private institutions or not. Registrations are declarative: Thet do not give any rights as you already have them all (still there are some remarks you should consider).
3) That you have now all the rights of a work doesn’t mean you will always keep them because, yes as you guessed, if you voluntarily give some of them away, you no longer have them all. No matter you registered or not. Both are separated issues.
The truth is that registration of works is not necessary nor compulsory in order to have all your rights reserved. So the question usually is: Then why should I register my contents for?
Well, the fact is that despite the kind of copyright declaration you want to make, or your philosophy, some kind of infringement might happen. Yes, that is true.
You can do your best to avoid willing and or unwilling infringement, but it can happen. An when something you don’t like happens is clearly better to have evidence of your authorship constructed in advance than trying to build it afterwards. Actually judges use to see suspicious to try to generate that evidence after the damage has been done than before.
So, in Safe Creative, we think that by registering with a private registration system like ours you have the best simple tools to minimize the natural risks that exist:
- First: by being able to put labels or links to the registration information page so dissuading infringers and providing key information and
- second: by having an early evidence to be in a stronger possition in any negotiation or legal conflict
This visual guide explains how to generate copies of the files, with metadata copyrightinformation: Title, Author and Safe Creative copyright info page.
In this event, Safe Creative sponsored, high lever professional discussed the protection of fashion and design from the perspective of the sometimes confusing knowledge that exists even among fashion professionals, thus leading to a general misconception of the possibilities existing.
Protection of fashion and design is not only limited to patents and trademarks, but everyday more we find professionals turning towards the possibilities of unregistered European design and especially copyright protection as complementary tools to enforce their rights.
As we argued, in every work product of the human intellect, and more in fashion where originality and creativity is key to differentiation and competitive advantage – so necessary in these areas – there may be, and in fact there is, copyright protection. We have to add to this that there’re different treatment of this issues depending the laws across different countries. So inside Europe, we can find firmer laws describing the potential scope of copyrights in fashion and design works.
If we add the speed with which a design, drawing, fashion photography can be reached by the expanding digital world of the Internet, the early agnostc generation of strong, reliable, technological unexpensive and quick evidence of the existence of a particular work at a given time is certainly a more than useful procedure to do regardless of the way that the defense of the work might finally be.
Instead of more complicated, expensive and cumbersome systems to generate evidence of copyright, digital registration services which evidence is based on the strength of mathematical scientific criteria, is the logical answer to the protection needs with the best possible opportunity cost rate.
With regards to other more evident forms of protection used as the design and trademark related protection, it came to be evident the need to raise always a long-term strategy without neglecting any aspect as designers go and professionalizing their carreer.
There are many things you can do to maximize the registration of your works. Here a few ideas:
- Save the registration certificate locally together with an exact digital copy of the uploaded registered file. You can do this if you have a premium account or higher. Read more: http://en.safecreative.net/2011/12/12/how-to-request-a-registration-certificate/ and http://en.safecreative.net/faqs/what-is-the-premium-service-registration/
- Save all files provided by the registration proof locally in a folder identified by the work title and registration code if you have the professional account; this way you will not have to rely on Safe Creative to enforce the evidence. Read more: http://en.safecreative.net/2011/12/12/how-to-request-a-registration-proof/, http://en.safecreative.net/2013/01/10/what-if-we-disappear/ and http://en.safecreative.net/faqs/professional-account/
- Have a file with the registered content with our copyright registration metadata in it if possible. For instance puting the work registration information link, or author profile in Safe Creative link in the copyright or authorship field of the work’s metadata http://www.photometadata.org/meta-tutorials-adobe-photoshop
- Put the link to the registration page or one of the informative labels next to the work when published in the Internet. Here an example: http://en.safecreative.net/2011/03/23/safe-creative-in-5-minutes/ and another one: http://en.safecreative.net/2010/06/08/what-to-do-in-case-of-plagiarism-or-other-unlawful-use-of-our-content/
- In case of pictures you might add the the text with the link or the image of the informative label in one of the corners of the image. Here something that might help you do this: http://en.safecreative.net/2009/02/19/psd-file-to-put-your-registry-number-on-your-images/ and an example http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneras/3102335769/
- Add the image of the informative label when printing a work in an analog support like a CD cover a paper book or a canvas. Example: http://en.safecreative.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/label_ex.jpg
Do you have any other suggestions? Feel free to comment.