We are glad to inform that Safe Creative has reached the psychological milestone of 1.000.000 registrations. In fact right now there are proud to tell you that we have 1.037.871 copyright information records in our system. This actually means that the work’s registered are probably many more, as there are many single compressed file registrations containing several works. So the exact figures we cannot tell, but we might be talking about 1.200.000 or more works.
The new “On Line Registration for audiovisual works and recordings, formats and scripts” is the first of its kind in the world
A single platform will enable the author to record his work, script or format in Spain and the United States; manage their rights him or herself or command someone to do it for him or her, give it ISAN number or provide access to it via the Internet
The collecting management entity EGEDA, Safe Creativeand the College of Registrars of Spain have joined forces to create the “On Line Register of audiovisual works and recordings, formats and scripts,” first of its kind in the world.
Until today there was no specific public record in which audiovisual works could be inscribed. The same applies to scripts or television formats. This situation generated a context of confusion and legal uncertainty that hindered its diffusion as there was not easy way to access accurate information of the various rightsowners of an audiovisual work, a script or an idea for television. To fix this, in mid-2011, a partnership between a technology company (Safe Creative), an audiovisual company (EGEDA) and an institution with legal recognition (Registrars of Spain) was established to create the digital registration service, which combines the advantages of digital, professional and legal registries.
This new digital registry will provide legal certainty to business transactions of the registered works, preventing them to be marketed without authorization from the legal owner. A single platform will enable authos, among other possibilities, to register their works, script or format in Spain and the United States; manage their rights themselves or command someone else to do it in their name, give to the work an ISAN number or give access to it in the Internet. All through their computers. On the other hand, potential buyers and users can quickly and easily access all information about the work, centralized in one single place.
ADVANTAGES OF THE DIGITAL REGISTRY
1. It allows everyone (individuals and companies) to register their content online, offering, immediately, agile and transparent, solid proof of authorship, supported by technology.
2. The basic service is free of charge.
3. It enables any user or consumer to make fast, convenient and online queries about the rights ownership of any work, format or audiovisual recording.
4. Provides online information so that rights owners manage their content or command a third party to perform a more professional management, facilitating interaction between owners and users, streamlining procedures and steps.
5. Provides effective legal protection not only the owner, but also the consumer or buyer of rights, offering online consultation by identifying the work as well as their owner or manager.
6. It can also help public institutions such as the ICAA or the ICEC, to avoid granting qualification certificates to applicants who act without rights for specific audiovisual works that cause serious problems for the sector.
7. Facilitates the establishment of new business models tailored to each owner and each work as will be able to offer, according to their requests and needs, the different products that are available (VOD, sequences, access platform TV formats and / or scripts, a global advocacy work or recording, etc..), making them immediately available to distributors, sales agents, etc…
8. Allows international management, digitalizing services and sequencing of the work or its incorporation into commercial platforms.
9. The legal registration, which will be integrated into the current register of property goods (Registrars of Spain), allow the owner of a work or recording to get funding related to sales or future revenues by establishing mortgages on such works, facilitating access to credit and enabling the industry to find the resources that will enable to develop its cultural and entertainment role.
With the creation of this online registry for audiovisual works, recordings, formats and scripts, we want to improve the opportunities offered by technology and Internet resources, promoting more awareness of audiovisual content and to help develop new business models in this environment.
For further information please contact Oscar Berrendo, Executive Director at EGEDA, through mail (email@example.com) or phone( 915 121 610)
We are more than 80,000 registered users in Safe Creative. We know it’s just a number, but for us it’s also an important milestone that we want to share and especially thank to you all.
We also thank the excellent reception given to the new service, which opened last month for email sending certification and which uses the technology of Safe Creative: MailStamper. For those who do not know it yet, we invite you to check it out because it is especially useful for demonstrating the sending of works the moment the email was sent and the recipients.
We’ve refurbished the registration screens making it a three-step wizard that sets the type of work (literary, music, video …) and makes the process simpler and intuitive.
We have improved the subclassification of audiovisual works, following suggestions from professional audiovisual creators, so previously registered videos have now been classified with the criteria used by the professional audiovisual sector, or in the absence of a specific criteria remain as “Video: other” and if you wish, and from the edit screen, you can adjust the subcategory that best suits your work.
Also with the change of the registration screens we have removed the registration of text typed or copied and pasted directly in the text box because of the confusion usually produced (users including the title of the work, a blog url, or the description of the license. ..). The elimination of the feature to register texts directly and the recent improvements in the automatic registration of blogs through feeds, turned senseless the use of the bookmarklet feature (utility to register an editing blog article from the browser). As said registration via RSS is the most suitable option to register blogs.
In line with the “freemium” spirit of Safe Creative, or free of charge service for occasional or non-professional, non-intensive uses, we have set the possibility to register up to 15 records with all rights reserved in free of charge accounts. Of course those who now have more than 15 records with all rights reserved will keep them in their accounts untouched.
Nonprofit or nonprofessional publications mainly use “copyleft” and therefore the registrations without all rights reserved do not have this limitation in the free of charge use.
Anyone needing intensive registrations with all rights reserved for some not professional or non-profit organizations purpose -NGOs, or nonprofit or professional projects by which nature there’s a need to perform numerous all rights reserved registrations- please contact us.
We know it’s just a number, but an important one: 80.000 registered users. A nice milestone. It feels like it was yesterday when we started this proyect and only dreamed of a day getting this awsome number of registered users in our platform.
And we all know that it’s been hard and it wouldn’t have been possible without a great team, a great support and a strong commitment with authors and rights holders all around the globe.
But more important: This couldn’t have happened without the mouth to mouth recommendations of those very same users. So we need to thank them all twice; for being be here, and for their recommendations.
What is it? We have separated the stamping and digital signature component in order to apply it to PDF emails. This makes possible to demonstrate to have sent an email, and the original state of the conversation. We hope you find it useful, and leave it free to use. If you want to use it massively don’t hesitate to contact us.
How does it work? Simple: Just copy the URL of a web which status you want to record, go to page.serialstamper.com a paste it in the box. The system will automatically generate a signed and timestamped PDF with the web at that precise moment. And you are done!
So we’ll keep it open for you to make use of it. If you do, please tell us what you think. Any feedback is more than welcome!
“The aim of the event is to present a set of simple, practical and readily-available solutions to make the European copyright regime more consumer-friendly, in particular with regards uses of copyrighted works which are generally tolerated but not legal in all the member States (e.g. format shifting of videos, fan fiction and YouTube mash-ups).”
The question we will try to help to answer is: Users and creators must be able to use copyrighted material to produce a new compound work for non-commercial purposes without needing a license?
We are always happy to hear your opinions, so if you have any remarks about the issue we will be talking about, please, do comment under this lines or contact directly writing to community (at) safecreative.org
Facing the model based on the authority of the registrar, the model started by Safe Creative offers irrefutable proof based on technology
A proof of registration valid by itself, giving autonomy and independence for authors to protect their rights.
Safe Creative improves the registration certificate, transforming it into a technically irrefutable true registration evidence, which validity, based on the technology used, is independent even from Safe Creative.
The Spanish company, which pioneered the Copyright Registration on the Internet offers, starting December 13th, a twofold registration full evidence that together with the original file consists of:
1) The proof of identification and integrity of the work, consisting of a triple fingerprint identification system (MD5, SHA1 and SHA512).
2) An equally strong proof of the date and time at which this work was registered with a separated double time stamp for each work: by a certification authority approved by the Spanish Ministry of Industry, and the certification authority of Safe Creative.
It’s definitely an element of proof of absolute solvency, independent of Safe Creative, which the authors may download or automatically receive to use as evidence of authorship.Safe Creative is defining the digital registration as the most suitable for the Internet, because unlike traditional systems, those are not based on the authority of the entity or person certifying the records, nor depend on them to prove it, but the proof of registration now becomes an indisputable piece of evidence that is necessary for authors to enforce their copyrights in case of plagiarism, misappropriation or misuse.
In the words of Juan Palacio, CEO of Safe Creative: “These changes represent a quantum leap for our users, who increasingly value for their creations the security, autonomy and independence a technology based registration service can provide. In short, a sound system for the digital reality. “