More or less this is what Safe Creative wants to help to do with contents in the Internet and to try and refine the concept we have launched and example of what in the future will be a complete system to indentify authorship and rights of contents in the Internet when they are registered.
We now start as a proof of concept with and example of a verbatim copy of a registered copy of a picture without redimension, crop or anything else. Soon we will include the technology to identify modified contents including video, music, text, etc.
How does it work?
You have basically two prior steps to perform:
1.- To instal our experimental plugin – https://addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/14452 – in your Mozilla Firefox (for versions from 3.0 to 3.5). If you don’t have Firefox in your computer you might download it here: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/. Restart Firefox to activate the plugin.
Add the plugin to you Firefox
Restart your Firefox to activate the plugin
2.- Register your pictures at Safe Creative (http://www.safecreative.org). Wait 24 hours for the registration to be finished. Remember that you can register as many pictures (and other works) that you want for free and of course the more you register, the better.
Register a picture to try it
Now if you want to try the plugin just upload a verbatim copy of the registered image to the Web, you don’t need to download the picture from Safe Creative first, but just a verbatim copy you might have in your computer. You can upload the picture to a blog, zooomr.com, flickr.com or any other kind of web hosting service that allows to see original sizes of uploaded works.
Upload a verbatim copy of the registered works to Internet
Open the original size picture page with your browser. Remember that right now we only identify verbatim copies of the pictures, so it must be the original size you open or it will not work.
Put you mouse over the picture and hit the right button to select from the contextual menu “get rights info”. If everything goes well a window will open with the basic work information: Title (the title at the registry), author and license. If you hit any of those links you will go to the Safe Creative registration page with the rest of the information.
Open the large size of the picture and right clib moust to select "get rights info"
The plugin will query the API and will return rights info
The links provided with the info lead to the registration page of the work
Since the plugin is being tested and this is a very basic example of what we plan to achieve it’s possible that in occasions it doesn’t return information. We will be fixing all issues as they appear so feedback us so we can improve your experience. Also notice that this is an open source plugin and you can download the source code to make your own version, improvements and even to create entirely new plugins or applications to communicate with Safe Creative’s API.
You might try the plugin query with this picture
Set the plugin and try with this picture:
September 28th, 2009
Past week we have been at the Digital Content Distribution Seminar by Erich Pommer Institute in collaboration with Tabakalera and Media in San Sebastian, Spain.
This has been a chance to explain the role free online copyright registries like Safe Creative can play in today’s digital challenge. During the event we have been in close contact with movie and TV related professionals sharing experiences and views. After the seminar finished we also joined the first Digital Audiovisual Forum also in San Sebastian as a preamble to the International Film Festival of San Sebastian.
During this summits we talked about legal frameworks, new business models, different visions about customer and citizen behaviours and the new situation regards social networks and participatory culture.
It is real hard to summarize all the contents and ideas we shared, but we keep some interesting impressions and feelings we want to share in form of our particular conclusions.
Let us share this general conclusions:
- People using new techs and downloading through not controlled channels without paying money are here to stay. Generally talking there are two ways to face this fact; one being there’s nothing we can or should do, and the other is that there’s a need to fight by all means against it. However definition about what is piracy is still unclear and this affects those of us who fight real piracy, plagiarism and people selling other’s stuff without permission. Maybe we will have to start changing or using other names for different behaviours.
- Three strikes policies are no good for today and tomorrows companies images. Far from dissuading or teaching this policies have more risk and costs than advantages. Besides, a lot of the new wave of professional content creators believe that criminalizing their customers and potential customers is bad policy by all means. To correctly educate we need positive values, not negative ones.
- Above all, everybody concluded that we have to create new business models to capture people’s attention instead of fighting them as if they where plain criminals. Actually they are fans and potential customers.
- To believe that Internet is a mere exploitation window might be the next big mistake of entertainment industry. Internet, as an extension of reality is therefore real and turns out to be the environment, what surrounds today’s world linking all the possible and aspects of it. We have to understand it and focus all the steps of entertainment industry business as intimately related even merged with the Internet.
- Involve people in the creation and distribution process to teach them and make them aware of it’s complexity but in a positive way is a key for success.
- Users are willing to pay, but mostly for unique services related to the content. Understanding this we can offer unique premium contents and services by engaging customers through the contents we used to sell in the past century.
Here is our presentation:
September 24th, 2009
- Jamendo is a music share community which configures a perfect platform for artists to spread their work on a free and independent manner.
- With this agreement, Jamendo’s artists will be able to enjoy a highly legal protection and will offer through the Internet semantic information of their rights using the innovative technology offered by Safe Creative.
Madrid, September 3rd, 2009.
Safe Creative has announced a new deal with Jamendo, the biggest Internet based platform of music distribution, which recently included within its platform the automatic registration of its music on Safe Creative, offering to its artists the legal benefits and the online information of the rights registered at the Safe Creative’s Copyright Registry.
Jamendo is a community to legally share and download music which started in the musical industry as a chance for artists to promote their music online. Through this platform, artists can authorize the free sharing of their albums and songs, making possible the diffusion of their music online while protecting their rights thanks to the new technologies and to the “Creative Commons” license agreements.
In this context, Jamendo gives a step forward with this agreement, which, from the beginning will allow remarkable artists to take advantage of the protection of a Safe Creative registration, the first online Copyright Registry, which will give an extra guarantee to their Creative Commons licenses.
The system will bring more security, rigor, will difficult plagiarism and will facilitate the providing of information, thanks to the registration, deposit, certification and information of works and artists’ rights at Safe Creative.
“After one year of a close collaboration, we are proud to being able to offer to our artists a free and supplementary instrument with Safe Creative which for us is the milestone of the intellectual protection and which share our same values about Creative Commons” affirms Sylvain Zimmen, Jamendo’s founder.
The artists will be able to manage their registration through Jamendo’s site, which will show at any time a section with the registration data of the work in Safe Creative, offering users an immediate access to the information about the authorship and the rights of use on that specific work; and to the programs and distribution nets will offer a manner (API) to automatically research (semantic).
Besides the traditional advantages of a registration, and due to the incorporation of the Safe Creative Registry, the property rights of the works distributed by Jamendo can be sought and “comprehended” by any P2P software, web or system through a front line API of semantic information of Safe Creative.
“The agreement with business models as Jamendo makes this new revolution of the music diffusion through the Internet a reality more toucheable each day” affirms Mario Pena, Coordinator of the Safe Creative user community.
Jamendo is the first worldwide platform to download music free and legally. It is available in eight different languages, the website offers the wider free and no cost music catalogue in the world: 200,000 songs and 20,000 albums by more than 9,500 artists throughout the world. The innovative Jamendo’s economical model allows the free character of the downloads for the users as well as the remuneration of the artists, based on the share out of the incoming revenues from advertisement and the commercial uses. Jamendo PRO is a new service online, launched on January 2009, which allows to relate the Jamendo’s artists with the brands, this is possible through:
- the environmental sound, telematics radios and without advertisement, public places (as restaurants, hotels, sports arenas,…)
- the sync to video projects, advertisement, documentaries,…
Ducati, MTV, Orange, Saint-Macloud, Subway, Quick, Arte, EuroRSCG already trust us. For the artists is also a unique promotion and remunerative platform. Launched in 2005 by Sylvain Zimmer, Laurent Kratz and Pierre Gérard, nowadays Jamendo is formed by an international team of more than 20 people, with main offices in Luxemburg. Jamendo combines legal, technological and economic innovations to offer a unique proposal to the digital music.
To get more information about Jamendo visit: www.jamendo.com
To get more information about Jamendo PRO visit: www.jamendo.pro
About Safe Creative
Safe Creative is the biggest Copyright Registry in a digital format, worldwide, independent and open, which offers open or professional services for registration, certificates, consultancy and diffusion of the intellectual property rights.
There are already more than 17,000 authors who can protect and manage in a very easy and intuitive manner their rights, as well as offering transparent and real time semantic information to software, P2P networks and diffusion systems throughout the Internet.
September 3rd, 2009